Saturday, March 28, 2015

Reader Response to "Passion"

I admired the writing in this story. The content, not so much.
The whole concept of Har Gopal confused me. I might need to preface this with the unfortunate situation that a page near the end of the story seems to be missing. Maybe on that page everything is magically revealed. I'm more than a little skeptical of that though. In fact in the summaries I read, they made no mention of a magic "this is what you were missing the whole time page." So I can only assume I got the gist of it.
The gist of it to me seems to be that Betsy met this random Indian man and fell in love with him because he was so very distinctly Indian and that is all. And the random man, Har Gopal, just really randomly shows up one day and barely even says anything and seems to have no reason to even keep Betsy around.
I can't decide if I think that the way that Betsy sees Har Gopal is negative or positive.
"One Sunday afternoon he was reclining on her bed in his rather lordly way...his feet crossed comfortably at the ankle. He looked noble and sensitive and gave the impression of being sunk in deep philosophic thought. This impression, however, was false, for when he finally broke his silence it was to say nothing more significant than, "Just see, I have had this blister for two days. It is very painful."...Overcome with tenderness for him [she] threw herself on his reclining figure."Oh you're so sweet, so sweet!"
Ok I don't know about the next person but for me, the last thing that I'm probably going to think when someone is sitting on my bed staring into space and they tell me that they're thinking about the blister that's been festering on their foot for two days is that they're sweet. I think I would probably say that that's kind of gross and tell them to get their foot off my bed.
So I think it's weird that Betsy feels this way about him, but it's kind of in a "oh good for you way" where you love someone so much that even their blisters seem cool to you. Which is kind of nice, but also kind of delusional, so I am just not too keen on her character in general.
While delusional though, the characters are just interesting and off-kilter enough to make me want to keep reading even though I don't necessarily love what's happening, so kudos to Jhabvala.

No comments:

Post a Comment