Saturday, March 28, 2015

Reader Response to "The Man Who Invented the Calendar"

There is really no criticism I can give to this story. With writing like this, I want to just keep reading it and appreciating it for what it is. I can say however I am supremely jealous of BJ Novak. I don't know if the Office or the writing came first, but dude, can you just do one cool thing and be famous for it instead of two cool things and being famous for both? Save a little love for the rest of us.
It's difficult to be critical because the story is meant to be just a fun little romp through a hypothetical world, I don't think it's supposed to have some deep underlying meaning. Still, I was actually confused about a couple things the character says. I would chalk it up to him being an unreliable narrator, but I don't even think that's how Novak meant for it to be read. I think we're supposed to take everything in stride.
"A lot of shenanigans today, like pranks (which are lies for no reason). People say it has something to do with the calendar, which I wasn’t crazy about. But I guess it’s good when your invention takes on a life you never expected."
This part baffled me. Wouldn't the person who invented the calendar know what April Fools day was? How would it be that on the very first April Fools day people decided that it would be the day to prank everyone? Were holidays in effect before the calendar? How would they know what holiday it was? Maybe Novak is doing one of those "it's all in the character's head" kind of deals where the guy actually just thinks he invented the calendar. That would explain for me how other people already have holidays. But again, don't really think Novak was going for that and we're supposed to just roll with it.
Then he said, “What else have you done?,” and I said that I’d been distracted about Jane being sacrificed but that I’m planning on doing something new soon, maybe involving clocks. 
HOW IS HE MAKING MONTHS IF TIME ISN'T INVENTED YET.
Another small fuckup: I put an extra “r” in all the copies of the calendar I handed out, even though I already told everyone the next month coming was called Febuary. But Alice came up with the best solution! She said, “Just tell everyone it’s spelled ‘February’ but pronounced ‘Feb-u-ary.’ That way,they’ll feel stupid!”
This didn't confuse me. I just loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment