Friday, February 27, 2015

Reader Response to "Convalescing"

First of all can we take a moment to talk about how Joyce Carol Oates basically looks like Professor Trelawney in her author portrait. You do you, JCO. Anyway.

Things that I underlined:

"Life was a joke she hadn't caught"

This is such a simple statement but says a lot. I feel like I know a lot of people like this - it's just saying that some people take things much too seriously, while also giving a little insight into David's perspective on the world.

"The first question had panicked him because he did not know the answers."

This struck me because the questions the girl was asking were not difficult questions at all, which shows a great way how to reveal something was wrong with David before saying precisely what. It also glimpses into David's thought life and the importance of describing the way a character is feeling.

"Her name was Eunice, not David's idea of a name for a baby girl, but now she had grown up into a Eunice and dragged her cello off to a music lesson every Saturday..."

I absolutely love the idea of someone growing into the way their name sounds. I knew a Eunice once. Sadly to say I feel like this is completely true.

"He loved her but could not truly believe in this love."

Again, showing that something is wrong without saying precisely what it is. Such a sad statement.

"The emotions faded, the events could not be remembered - and where, in such a puzzle, was a fixed point?"

I didn't dislike this story, but I don't know if I particularly enjoyed reading it either - not because it was poorly written, but because it was well written. The whole way through I was just sitting there going "errrrrrrghhhh" (in my head, not out loud, we all hope) because David's situation is just so disheartening and groggy, and it made me feel that way throughout as well. Sometimes I like to write about sad things, but JCO writes so powerfully that it makes you feel that way through to your bones.


No comments:

Post a Comment